4 of 4
South Carolina Football vs. Jacksonville State:
- The starting offensive line was Babalade-Moore-Gargiulo-Baugh-Lee.
- Moore got knocked out of the game in the 1st quarter. JonDarius Morgan replaced him. Eventually, Vershon Lee moved inside to left guard while Tyshawn Wannamaker stayed at right tackle on a more permanent basis.
- Tyshawn Wannamaker rotated in at right tackle, and Cason Henry rotated in at left tackle. Wannamer ended up staying at right tackle when Vershon Lee moved to left guard after a Jakai Moore injury. Henry left the game with an injury, as well.
- DK Joyner played some H-Back on Saturday. The Gamecocks haven’t used much H-Back this season, but with tight end Trey Knox out, the first option at the spot (Josh Simon) was getting all of the tight end snaps.
- Keenan Nelson, Jr. started in place of DQ Smith who was suspended for the first half due to a targeting penalty last week.
- Nelson was nowhere to be found on JSU’s long passing play on the 1st quarter touchdown drive. Jalon Kilgore was expecting safety help over the top, and Nelson was not there. He was also penalized for pass interference late in the 1st half.
- DJay Braswell got his first action since the Furman game, but he didn’t play much.
- Carolina’s EDGE players did not play disciplined against the option game. On several plays, defensive ends in black jerseys were flying right by the man with the football because they were guessing rather than playing disciplined.
- The linebackers weren’t much better playing against the zone read and against the option. “Poorly coached” seems to be an apt descriptor as almost no one in the front-7 looked like they knew what they were supposed to do.
- The defensive line, as a whole, got pushed around by Jacksonville State.
- The offensive line was decent in pass protection but was horrible blocking in the run game.
- Nick Gargiulo and Tro Baugh struggled badly at times on Saturday. Gargiulo also struggled again with his snaps at times.
- Dowell Loggains did not have his best day. Without Xavier Legette doing Xavier Legette things, the offense would have been in serious trouble.
- There was a lot of booing throughout the game, especially during the 2nd and 3rd quarters.
- A few times, there were small chants by fans to “fire [insert coach name here].” Head coach Shane Beamer and defensive coordinator Clayton White both were heard clearly in the chants, but other coaches may have been mentioned.
- South Carolina got outplayed by Jacksonville State up front. JSU had 10 tackles for loss and 4 sacks, USC had 6 and 1. Rich Rod’s team got more push in the run game than Shane Beamer’s.
- Stone Blanton had a really tough game prior to his huge interception.